Saturday, July 21, 2007

PONTOON BOATS

We were wet wading in the trout ponds the other day. I was in my float tube and my friend was in his pontoon boat. The weather was strange as soon as you got dressed like this the sun would come out and you'd have to shed all the raingear. Then about 10 minutes later there would be another downpour. With the combination of the rain and getting wet up to the top of my thighs in the Fat Cat float tube I was getting chilled when the wind started to blow. After we finished up and went for a heartwarming supper I noticed that he was only wet to the knees. I had suggested coming back after supper to fish the evening rise and he was all set to leave his pontoon waiting on the bank for him to return and pop right back in it. I, however was done and thinking of dry clothes and casting from shore. This got me thinking again about the strengths of a pontoon boat.


He can row faster than I could ever kick.

He can still use his fins for handsfree fishing.

He is almost completely out of the water, especially if he chooses not to use fins.

When we were out on the river he was just as efficient as me in my sit-on-top kayak. (Except for the capability to go back upstream.)


So I came to the conclusion that when fishing with my two pontoon buddies I would like to enjoy the benefits of a pontoon. These guys have a blast on the trout ponds and management for some reason does not allow canoes or kayaks. So to make a long story short, I am soon to be the proud owner of:
FISH CAT 10 IR

from Outcast. This boat is tough enough to do rivers really well. And will hold enough gear to satisfy the camper in me.

Will this replace my float tube for my flyfishing adventures? Not a chance. I may even stow my lightweight backpackable tube onboard for portages to lakes inaccessible by other means. Check my earlier post on float tubing Saturday June 9, 2006 to see the advantages of the tube for total hands free fishing.

2 comments:

zonker said...

The 10 IR sounds like a nice little boat. Hope you're able to get it before the Rhode Island trip.

Good to see you posts.

z~

smallmouth said...

The dealer told me 6 business days. We're not leaving until the end of the first week in August so hopefully it will be with us. Now my friend in the Creek Company pontoon wants one two. Last time out with me in my kayak and the two Bob's in their "toons". Bob with the Orvis/Waterskeeter broke an oarlock. On our first float the Creek Co. Bob had a tear in one of his pontoon covers. i went with this Bob to inquire about the Prowler, Outcast's new top of the line float tube. They had the 10 footer Fish Cat on the floor and you could see that it was a much tougher boat. I decided that rather than get the Prowler that I'd dig a little deeper for the pontoon. After all with my repair job on the Fat Cat it could last another 5 seasons