Friday, July 2, 2010

Hybrid Yaks/Standing


As a 64 year old man I am blessed with good balance and have always been interested in standing capability in a self propelled fishing vessel. Recently I had a chance to fish from a Native Ultimate 12 on the Grand River near Paris and Bradford. It's probably a good thing that I didn't come away impressed by being able to stand in this yak. (more money invested in the fleet). I can stand almost as well in my own Tarpon but even with good balance, standing in a kayak is an accident waiting to happen. I have no qualms about standing in my 16 foot canoe but even these hybrid canoe yaks need stabilizers to provide confidence while standing to fish. All that aside, this Native Ultimate has an incredibly comfortable seat that all yak manufacturers should seek to emulate.

No comments: