Friday, July 2, 2010

Moose Encounter/God's Grace


By the Grace of our loving Lord, my friend,Bob, and I arrived home safely after our trip to Kwagama. Between Sault St. Marie and Sudbury, after dark we came within inches of hitting a huge cow moose. It was after dark and I was driving the Forester around 105/110 kph. We were enjoying Bill Cosby on my mp3 player. All of a sudden we had the closest encounter with the big moose. The big cow was crossing oblivious to the presence of my vehicle. To imagine the scenario think of a horse coming to your driver window to take an apple from your hand. If my window had been open I could have touched her. She was that close.

My reaction was to rotate the steering wheel an inch or two in the direction away from her and she raised her head with this “holy shit” look on her face and the top of my vehicle went under her head and we passed without contact. A normal violent knee jerk reaction would have had me cranking the wheel frantically and probably flipping the car off the road or into the animal. I know it was the Lord’s presence that made me turn the wheel just ever so slightly to keep us away from tragedy. Praise God! We’re safe at home and exhausted. Would you believe there is no gas on the Trans Canada Highway between the Sault and Parry Sound? If not for the Esso station at Parry Sound we would have had to pull over to sleep in the car until something opened up in the morning.

It is truly miraculous that I made such a minimal steerage correction. That creature just appeared out of nowhere and I wouldn’t have had time to even react on my own strength. It is amazing that I could see the shocked look on the face of the cow and even more amazing that she was able to lift her head and allow me through unscathed. Bob and I could hardly talk we were so taken by the experience and the reality that God was there with us at that moment.

I got to thinking of everything we had done to bring us to the point in time where that moose was going to be there on that stretch of road at precisely that time. If the train had been on time (Was an hour and a half late!) we would have been well on down the road. The stops for coffee and dinner all conspired to put us fatefully on that stretch of road at exactly the same time as one of God’s magnificent creatures was sauntering across the road. Good thing God is in control and fate is not a factor.

Oh, I had to use the spinning rod at times. Ultra-lite of course!

No comments: